Wednesday, July 30, 2014

RIP Yia Yia ~ Merrillville, Indiana

Over the past 5 days my family and I paid tribute to my husband's Yia Yia, Clara.
We traveled, as a family of 4, to Merrillville, Indiana.
My husband was born there, but moved to Virginia at 3 months old.

Our trip to Indiana took us 11 1/2 hours to get there (11 hours to get home).
We left at 4:30 am and made 2 stops .
The kids and my husband did great.  
Only one meltdown occurred, when we were almost there - by a child, not my husband, hehe.
I, on the other hand, wanted to jump out of my skin.
I was tired, uncomfortable and in charge of entertaining two toddlers from the front seat.
It was exhausting to say the least.
The biggest hits were movies, stickers and cars for my son.
And snacks... lots of sugar free snacks.

Once we arrived though, the trip was wonderful.
Everyone traveled to show their respect, including many cousins.
The kids had a blast staying in the "nice room", as Michael would call it.
We had big family dinners, saw the hospital and house my husband began his life in, swam in the hotel pool and played outside.
My husband also took advantage of the mall that carried tons of Chicago "stuff"... lots of Bears gear was purchased and he was happy.

The viewing and funeral were beautiful and touching.
She had 6 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren and many of them were in attendance.
Family is so important.

Maxim's Family Restaurant 
Carolyn and Ryan's first home... my husband said he still remembers the smell.
My beautiful girl... so full of life
LOVE this picture... walking into the viewing
My ridiculously cute boy
Cousin love (Nic is the "coolest"!)
A little fun at the mall & in the pool
RIP Yia Yia

No comments:

Post a Comment