Friday, August 29, 2014

Our Favorite Dinners

I'm not going to lie, my favorite meal is delivered to my table...
prepared by a chef/cook and cleaned up by a busser.
(I worked at Outback Steakhouse for 5 years so I can say this)
However, I do like to cook!
I like to follow a recipe, set all the ingredients out before I start and watch the list become a delicious meal for me and my family.
I've run into two problems lately though:
1) time
2) money
Why does it have to be more expensive to cook healthy?
Veggies, fruit, whole wheat, organic... it's all more expensive!
And God forbid we dont use something... money down the drain.
I'm trying though.  And I WILL start cooking more.  I want my kids to remember some of my meals, have a favorite and want to be in the kitchen with me.
 
Here are a couple of my favorites:
 
Salmon with Brown Sugar Glaze
 
1/4 c packed light brown sugar (I use light or dark)
2 tbs dijob mustard (I've used regular mustard before)
1 boneless salmon filets
salt and pepper
 
Preheat the over to 375; prepare pan with cooking spray and/or foil.
 
Season the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange onto the prepared broiler pan. Whisk together the brown sugar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl; spoon mixture evenly onto top of salmon fillets.
Cook for 30-40 minutes and serve with rice and a veggie!
 OhMyGod Slow Cooker Short Ribs of Beef
 1 cup red wine [I used an Italian table wine]
2/3 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pounds beef short ribs
2 medium-sized yellow onions, chopped
Combine first six ingredients (through black pepper) in the slow cooker and stir. Add the ribs, submerging them in the sauce. [In my oval, this required cutting the ribs into one-bone widths, then dunking each end in the sauce. I cooked them with the bones positioned upright.] Scatter the onions over the ribs, cover, and cook until the meat starts to separate from the bone, 7 to 9 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH.
If you can, refrigerate the ribs and sauce separately overnight. Not only will the flavor improve, but you’ll also be able to discard a shocking amount of congealed fat. If you must serve right away, I suggest pouring the sauce into a fat separator first.  Serve over noodles of your choice!  Yum!
Easy Lasagna
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped (I use a cheese grater)
1 jar of spaghetti
1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 (16 oz) package of lasagna noodles
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large skillet, cook and stir ground beef until brown. Add mushrooms and onions; saute until onions are transparent. Stir in pasta sauce, and heat through.
In a medium size bowl, combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Layer with uncooked lasagna noodles, cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, and meat sauce. Continue layering until all ingredients are used, reserving 1/2 cup mozzarella. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, and top with remaining half cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment