Monday, September 29, 2014

In Loving Memory of Laura & Emmett

My husband and I went to a friend's wedding on September 20, 2014
We had a great time... dancing, laughing, eating.
The next morning we were awoken by a phone call at 0830.
I remember my husband saying things like "omg"... "no"... "omg"
I immediately sat up and said "what's wrong??"
I thought of two things - my babies or someone from the wedding had too much to drink.
It was neither of those things.

On Saturday, September 20, 2014, our friend and coworker, Laura Isabel Humphrey,
was tragically killed in a car accident.
She was 21 weeks pregnant with her first baby.  A little boy.  Emmett Rylander.
We freaked out.  We sobbed.  We tried to understand what was happening.
This was, by far, the saddest thing we had ever heard.
Laura, her sister, her best friend and another friend were apple picking that day.
Laura was driving.  She wanted ensure her own safety.
She stopped at an intersection and what happened after that is still unknown.
But once she started crossing the street, they were t-boned from the right side.
The lady was going the speed limit (55), but the airbags on the drivers side did not open.
Unimaginable.
Her sister has a broken collar bone, but other than that, everyone is fine.
Walking, talking... fine.

Laura was one of those special people.
She lit up any room she entered and by the 300+ people at her funeral, you know this was true.
My husband was her supervisor.
He said she was the best.  A perfectionist.  A hard worker.  And a joy to be around.
He was going to give her a raise that week...

Laura and her husband had been married for about 2 years.
They were SO excited for this pregnancy.  Their first baby and her parent's first grandchild.
The heartache they are feeling must be so painful.
I can't imagine and I pray for them DAILY.

Laura and Emmett were laid to rest this past Saturday.
It was the most GORGEOUS day.
I hope to remember her always.  She is buried next to my dad.
Even though I hate cemeteries, I will always visit her when we head up there.






No comments:

Post a Comment