Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving... and the Redskins!!

I am so excited for Thanksgiving this year!  Family, food and FOOTBALL!  It is standard tradition that the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving.  I've never been a fan of having 2 set teams play on this holiday.  Why isn't it a random draw every year?  Whatever the case, it's always fun to watch these games.  We are early eaters.  This means we are stuffed, happy and dozing in and out of consciousness during the games... just the way I like it.  This year; however, will be different.  The Redskins are playing the Cowboys!!  This is huge!  Not only are these two teams big rivals, but I have been a Redskin fan since the day I was born.  My father wouldn't have it any other way.  I started going to the games with him when I was 9.  Rain, snow, sleet, blazing heat... there we would sit.  If the game was 40-0... there we would sit.  He passed away when I was 13 and the tickets went to me.  There were 4 of them.  My father had a son from a previous marriage and he was also interested in the tickets... my poor mom.  After multiple awkward conversations, we decided to split them.  Then, a few years later, we decided to move sections.  It all worked out in the end and now, after 21 years of the tickets being in my name, our seats are 6 rows from the end zone and fabulous!  I will never get rid of my tickets.  Pulling up to the stadium for the first game of the season gives me chills.  I can just feel my dad's presence!  Granted, we have switched stadiums since his passing, but it still brings memories.  RFK was our first home... Lot 8, under the tree.  Memories!  Now we are at Fed Ex Field and it's a wonderful new stadium.  I am forever proud of my team.

So, this year... after turkery, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn pudding, candied yams, Grandma's homemade rolls and gravy, the entire family will be in one central location... in front of the tv with pie and coffee.

I am posting this late and....... THE REDSKINS WON!  It was a great game!!!!

 
Michael... after the Redskins won!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment