Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Horner's Syndrome? No thanks, we'll pass.

I know that having a premature baby is a life changer.  Having a full term baby is a life changer in itself.  From day one we have had worries, scares and stressful, challenging times.  I am a researcher at heart... a doctor's worst nightmare.  Or maybe not?  I don't know if they respect the researcher or are annoyed by them.  I'll never forget the neonatologist's face when he stopped by Juliana's isolet one morning to see if I had any questions.  I had a huge book and my baby in my lap.  I smiled when I looked up at him and said, "yes, I have a few."  And I did.  We did.  Art and I had questions every single day.  The NICU nurses said we were their best parents... we were so involved and wanted to know every detail.  They told us that every set of NICU parents were different... some wanted to know it all, some didn't want to know anything.  Everyone has different ways of dealing with "trauma".  My way is by educating myself.  I admit, there were things I omitted researching or asking about.  I tend to do that a lot.  If something really bothers me, I ignore it.  I don't talk about it.  It was/is different with Juliana though.  I can only avoid things for so long... it's my daughter.  It is my responsibility to ask questions and educate myself as much as possible.  And that's just what I will do.

Our newest scare came in the form of two different sized pupils.  I noticed her pupils when walking her around the kitchen one night.  Her left pupil was a tiny bit bigger than the right.  I'm not even sure I mentioned it to Art at first.  It seemed so insignificant.  I mean, what do pupils have to do with anything?  I was sure that people were just born with different sized pupils... right?  At our 2nd eye doctor exam - normal for preemies - I mentioned it to the doctor.  He asked me a few questions and then requested that we come back - as scheduled - and to not dilate her eyes before he examined her.  So, that's just what we did.  About a month later we were back in his office and he began to exam our little one.  He sat down, jotted a few notes and then said to us, "I think Juliana might have Horner's Syndrome... bla bla bla... nerves.... bla bla... trauma.... bla bla bla bla."  Yep, that's about what I heard.  What do you mean our little girl might have a "syndrome"?  I dont want her to have any "syndromes"!  He told us there were a few tests we would need to do.  The first was a urine test by our pediatrician.  It just so happened we were going there the next day.  If that test came back positive - which it WONT - we would have to do a series of MRIs to make sure the "syndrome" wasn't caused by any tumors.  M... R... I... ?  As in, putting my baby under? 

To the computer I went...

Dear Google - Does Horner's Syndrome affect eye sight?  No.
Dear Google - Is Horner's Syndrome life threatening?  No.
Dear Google - Is Horner's Syndrome caused by premature birth?  No... Oh, really?  Awesome. 
Dear Google - What the hell is Horner's Syndrome?

Horner syndrome is a rare disorder that occurs when certain nerves that travel from your brain to your eyes and face are damaged.  Horner syndrome isn't a disease itself.  Rather, it's a sign of another medical problem — such as a stroke, tumor or spinal cord injury.  In some cases, however, no underlying cause can be found.  Horner syndrome usually affects only one side of your face.  Typical symptoms of Horner syndrome include a drooping eyelid, decreased pupil size and decreased sweating on the affected side of your face.  There's no specific treatment for Horner syndrome. Instead, treatment is directed at the underlying cause, when possible

Really?  Yea... I don't think so.

Off to the pediatrician we went.  He said a lot of the same things the eye doctor said and again, I didn't understand much of it.  We were handed a urine collection kit to take home.  I used the kit yesterday morning and had it to the doctor's by early afternoon.  I called today to make sure they had enough urine and that it was sent to the lab.  It was and it was.

My hope... Juliana has two different sized pupils in dim light.  AND THAT'S IT.  Both doctor's said they weren't too worried.  Art asked both of them how worried they were on a scale of 1-10:

Eye Doctor - 1
Pediatrician - 2/3

We should know our next steps by next Monday.

How beautiful is she??
 
11/27 UPDATE - All of Juliana's tests came back NORMAL!  Basically, in certain light one pupil will be slightly bigger than the other.  When her eyes turn brown (if they turn brown), you wont even be able to tell and this does NOT affect her sight.  More importantly, it means no stroke, tumor or spinal cord injury!  THANK GOD!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment